Sunday, August 21, 2011

Veggie Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep: 15 minutes     Set: 30 minutes      
Bake 15-17 minutes a tray

If you could not already tell by my posting, one of my favorite things to make is desserts! I found this recipe in an Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine and I thought it was so cleaver with adding a secret hidden ingredient that you normally do not fine in oatmeal cookies; zucchini. If any of you have zucchini growing in your garden you are probably like me and thinking at this point… what the heck and I going to do with all of this zucchini?? Well folks I have an answer! Shred up zucchini and put it in your cookies. When I gave these cookies to my family they could not even tell that I added it and continued to eat mass quantities. Once the secret was revealed they were a little confused and semi-weirded out that I would put vegetables in cookies but they continued to eat them all =)   

Ingredients

1 cup flour

½ tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. salt

6 oz. room temp. butter

¾ cup light brown sugar

¾ cup granulated sugar

1 egg

3 cups rolled oats

1 packed cup of shredded zucchini

¾ cup chocolate chips

¾ cup cream cheese, optional

The Process

* Heat oven to 350*

1. In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.

2. In the mixer, beat butter and sugars at high speed until fluffy.

3. Beat in egg at medium speed, then add flour mixture.

4. Stir in oats, zucchini, and chocolate chips, Let it sit for 30 minutes.

5. Bake about ¼ cupfuls on two cookie trays at 350*, switching the trays half way through, until golden brown.

6. You can now eat the cookies as is or sandwich each with a spoonful of cream cheese. YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment